War Games

War Games

War Games is a sci-fi movie from 1983 that narrates the story of David Lightman, a teenager that trying to hack into what he thought was a videogame development company accessed instead into a top secret military base computer and initialized a "game" called Global Thermonuclear War, which ran a simulation of a nuclear war between the USSR and the USA, driving everybody mad as they thought the simulation was a real deal, and giving a head start to a potential World War 3.

Even though it is considered a classic, I must admit I had never seen the movie, not even heard about it. I watched it without knowing a thing about the plot, and I enjoyed it more than I expected to be honest. However there are a lot of things that I found a little absurd and highly unlikely to occur in real life. The plot itself, for instance. Just to think that a kid by accident has the ability to enter a military base is something I found too fictional to my taste, even when we are talking about the 80's and technology and security protocols were not as complex as today.

Other thing I've never been such a fan is the need to put a love story arc into the movie, even when it feels totally forced and unnecessary. But most popular movies use this romantic tramas in the plot, so I understand that they include it in the main storyline. But don't get me wrong, I very much enjoyed it and would recommend it to a fellow geeky friend.

Another aspect I loved about the movie is that it gave me a lot of context to the lecture of the semester, Ready Player One, as the book mentions several references to the movie itself and different details about how life was in the 80's, and the movie represents a lot of them., so it's nice that the contents of the course complement each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moon Machines

Understanding the SOLID Principles

Hidden Figures